The Orange River, Gariep River, Groot River or Senqu River is known as the longest river in South Africa! It starts out at the Drakensburg Mountains in the Lesotho highlands, flowing eastwards through South Africa out to the Atlantic Ocean. The Orange River plays a vital role providing water for irrigation and hydroelectric power, in South Africa.
The Orange River was named by Colonel Rover Gordon, in honour of William V Orange. A popular misbelief is that the river was named after its orange colour. It is known as the Senqu River in Lesotho.
Canoeing down the Orange River is one of my
Extra reads & feedback:
- Article: Top 5 Namibian Experiences!
- Feedback: 12 Day Best of Namibia (Cape to Windhoek)
- Destination: Namibia
What to see and do:
- Spend a day canoeing down the Orange River
- Beautiful rock formations
- Incredible birdlife
Popular tours covering this highlight:
- 12 Day Best of Namibia Africa Overland Tour
- 20 Day Cape to Vic Falls Camping Budget Africa Overland Tour