Weather in Mozambique
Mozambique has a tropical climate with lovely sunshine throughout the year. Average temperatures are around 28°C to 32°C making it a perfect holiday destination if you are looking for outdoor activities. There is a rainy season which happens from November to April, but it is still hot and humid during these showers, particularly during December and February.You will find inland to be cooler and the rainfall is heavier, with most showers occurring during January and March.
The regions can vary quite significantly in their climatic conditions. The north-east coast can become very hot and humid. The areas that have higher altitude (Nampula and Niassa) tend to be cooler. Along the coast you will find soaring temperatures that are oppressively hot and humid. Inland the nights are cooler giving you some reprieve.
Please take note though that January and February is cyclone season in Southern Mozambique and one will experience sudden torrential downpours. The Bazaruto Archipelago is best avoided at this time.
Best time to Visit Mozambique
Due to the fact that the weather is ideal most time of the year – anytime is a good time to visit, there are only a few variables which you need to consider. May to November is the Winter season and you may prefer the cooler temperatures of 15 to 21 degrees celcius. There is less rain during this time and you will avoid the heavy downpours during the Summer season of December to April (27 to 32 degrees celcius).
You most probably would love to see the game of Mozambique and the dry season from August to September is best for safaris. The vegetation has thinned out so you will have greater visibility of the animals and they congregate around the rivers and waterholes.
How to get to Mozambique (By plane)
There are international flights that will arrive from South Africa to take you to Mozambique. However, there are also international routes between Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, Portugal and Qatar.
South African Airways have several flights a day that leave from Johannesburg and fly to Maputo. Federal Air will take you directly to Vilanculos International Airport if you are holidaying there. Other airlines that fly from Durban are Kenya Airways, Swazi Express Airways, Qatar Airways and TAP Portugal. South African Airlink, LAM and Kernya Airways will take you to regional airstrips in Mozambique.
Facts on Mozambique
- Full name: Republic of Mozambique
- Population: 17 million people
- Capital city: Maputo Area: 801,600 sq km; 309,498 sq miles
- Population: 19,000,000 Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 2 ()
- Languages: Portuguese (official)
- Religion: Indigenous beliefs (30%); Christian (40%); Muslim (30%)
- Electricity: 220V; 50HzHz Electric Plug Details: European plug: 2 circular metal pins South African/Indian-style plug: 2 circular metal pins above large circular grounding pin Plug configuration
- Country Dialling Code: 258
- Money matters Currency: Metical (Mtn) Medical matters: HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Schistosomiasis (bilharzia), Hepatitis, Typhoid, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Meningococcal meningitis